Percona Distribution for MySQL 8.0.34 using Percona Server for MySQL (2023-09-26)¶
Percona Distribution for MySQL is the most stable, scalable, and secure open source MySQL distribution, with two download options: one based on Percona Server for MySQL and one based on Percona XtraDB Cluster. Install Percona Distribution for MySQL.
This release is focused on the Percona Server for MySQL-based deployment variation. It is based on Percona Server for MySQL 8.0.34-26.
Percona Server for MySQL 8.0.34-26 implements the Audit Log Filter plugin. The plugin provides a set of features that you can use to monitor user activity on the selected server:
- Filter audit events based on user/connection, accessed database/table name, query content, etc. Filtering rules are in JSON format.
- Dynamically enable/disable the auditing. A server restart is not required to add or adjust existing filtering rules.
- Use filtering rules to remove sensitive data from SQL statements written to log files.
- Use filtering rules to block events matching specific criteria (for example, database/table name, user name).
- Configure filtering rules to write to audit log extra information provided via Query Attributes with each query.
- Encrypt the audit log files using AES-256 encryption. The plugin keeps a set of encryption passwords used to encrypt existing log files. External applications may use these passwords to access encrypted logs.
- Compress audit log files to reduce the storage space used by log files.
- Configure an automatic rotation and removal of log files. You can remove outdated log files based either on storage space used by log files or the age of log files.
- Support for multibyte character sets for random generation/masking functions
- New masking functions for IBAN, UUID, Canada SIN, and UK NIN
- New random generation functions for BAN, UUID, Canada SIN, and UK NIN
- The ability to store substitution dictionaries in the database
- The dynamic privilege
MASKING_DICTIONARIES_ADMINthat is required for dictionary manipulation operations
- The automated loadable-function registration/unregistration during component installation/uninstallation
This merge fixes the following issue:
- PS-8770: The
INSTANT DDLcaused Percona Server 8.0.32 exit after upgrading from 5.7.41.
Improvements and bug fixes introduced by Oracle for MySQL 8.0.34 and included in Percona Server for MySQL are the following:
- MySQL 8.0.33 added support for the
audit_log pluginto choose which database to use to store JSON filter tables. Now, you can specify an alternative to the default system database, mysql, when running the plugin installation script. For example:
$> mysql -u root -D database_name -p < audit_log_filter_linux_install.sql
mysql_binlog_close()functions to the libmysqlclient.so shared library. These functions enable developers to access a MySQL server binary log.
For platforms on which OpenSSL libraries are bundled, the linked OpenSSL library for MySQL Server is updated from OpenSSL 1.1.1 to OpenSSL 3.0.9.
Deprecations and removals¶
mysqlpumpclient utility program is deprecated. The use of this program causes a warning. The
mysqlpumpclient may be removed in future releases. The applications that depend on
MySQL Shell Utilities.
sync_relay_log_infoserver system variable is deprecated. Using this variable or its equivalent startup
--sync-relay-log-infooption causes a warning. This variable may be removed in future releases. The applications that use this variable should be rewritten not to depend on it before the variable is removed.
binlog_formatserver system variable is deprecated and may be removed in future releases. The functionality associated with this variable, which changes the binary logging format, is also deprecated.
binlog_formatis removed, MySQL server supports only row-based binary logging. Thus, new installations should use only row-based binary logging. Migrate the existing installations that use the statement-based or mixed logging format to the row-based format.
The system variables
log_statements_unsafe_for_binlogused in the context of statement-based logging are also deprecated and may be removed in future releases.
Setting or selecting the values of deprecated variables causes a warning.
mysql_native_passwordauthentication plugin is deprecated and may be removed in future releases. Using
ALTER USER, and
SET PASSWORDoperations, insert a deprecation warning into the server error log if an account attempts to authenticate using
mysql_native_passwordas an authentication method.
The legacy filtering mode is deprecated. New deprecation warnings are emitted for legacy audit log filtering system variables. The deprecated variables are either read-only or dynamic.
audit_log_policyread-only variable writes a warning message to the MySQL server error log during server startup when its value is set to any value except
audit_log_connection_policyare dynamic variables. Dynamic variables print a warning message based on usage:
Passing in a
audit_log_exclude_accountsduring MySQL server startup writes a warning message to the server error log.
Passing in a
audit_log_connection_policyduring MySQL server startup now writes a warning message to the server error log.
ALLis the default value for both variables.
Changing an existing value using
SETsyntax during a MySQL client session writes a warning message to the client log.
Persisting a variable using
SET PERSISTsyntax during a MySQL client session writes a warning message to the client log.
keyring_encrypted_fileplugins are deprecated. These keyring plugins are replaced with the
Find the full list of bug fixes and changes in the MySQL 8.0.34 Release Notes.
Review each component’s release notes for What’s new, improvements, or bug fixes. The following is a list of the components supplied with the Percona Server for MySQL-based variation of the Percona Distribution for MySQL:
|Orchestrator||3.2.6-10||The replication topology manager for Percona Server for MySQL|
|ProxySQL||2.5.5||A high performance, high-availability, protocol-aware proxy for MySQL|
|Percona XtraBackup||8.0.34-29||An open-source hot backup utility for MySQL-based servers|
|Percona Toolkit||3.5.4||The set of scripts to simplify and optimize database operation|
|MySQL Shell||8.0.34||An advanced client and code editor for MySQL Server|
|MySQL Router||8.0.34||Lightweight middleware that provides transparent routing between your application and back-end MySQL servers|